Doctor of Philosophy: Food Science and Technology with Minor in Statistics - University of Tennessee; Knoxville, Tennessee (2000)
Master of Science: Food Science and Technology - University of Tennessee; Knoxville, Tennessee (1997)
Bachelor of Science: Food Science and Technology - Oregon State University; Corvallis, Oregon (1994)
January 2012-Present: Research Associate Professor - Agricultural Research Station, College of Agriculture, Family Sciences and Technology, Fort Valley State University, Fort Valley, Georgia
2010-Present: Adjunct Professor of Food and Nutritional Science - Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, Alabama
2010-2011: Laboratory Instrument Specialist/Graduate Faculty - Agriculture Research Station, Fort Valley State University, Fort Valley, Georgia
2009-2010: Assistant/Associate Professor, Food and Nutritional Sciences - Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, Alabama
2002-2009: Research Professional AD - Agriculture Research Station, Fort Valley State University, Fort Valley, Georgia
2000-2002: Postdoc Research Associate - Food Science & Technology and Chemistry Departments, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee
- Principle academic interest including food chemistry/food analysis, food product development, and food preservation, as well as statistics.
- Research interest including functional components in foods and physiochemical properties of lipids, utilization of agricultural by-products, and health benefits of phytochemicals, as well as meat and dairy product development with the emphasis on storage stability and nutritional issues.
- L. O. Pordesimo, H. Li, J. H. Lee, and B. Reddick. 2004. Effects of drying procedure, cultivar, and harvest number on capsaicin levels in dried Jalapeño peppers. Appl. Eng. Agric. 20 (1):35-38.
- J.H. Lee*, S.L. Melton, J.C. Waller, and A.M. Saxton. 2004. Modification of physiochemical characteristics of goat milk fat by feeding protected high oleic sunflower oil supplements. J. Food Sci. 69:280-286.
- J.H. Lee*, J.C. Waller, S.L. Melton, A.M. Saxton and L.O. Pordesimo. 2004. Feeding encapsulated ground full-fat soybean supplements to increase polyunsaturated fat levels and effect on flavor volatiles in fresh lamb. J. Anim. Sci. 82:2734-2741.
- Park, Y.W., J.H. Lee*, and K.L. Arora. 2004. Effect of 6 months prolonged frozen-storage on changes in organic acid composition of plain soft goat milk cheese. South African J. Anim. Sci. 34: Suppl. 1:186-188.
- J.H. Lee*, J.C. Waller, and S.L. Melton. 2005. Enhancing ?-tocopherol and linoleic acid in ewe's milk by feeding emulsified sunflower oil and DL-?-tocopheryl acetate in a chemically treated protein matrix. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53:6463-6468.
- Y.W. Park and J.H. Lee*. 2006. Effect of freezing on organic acid contents and lipolytic index of plain soft and Monterey Jack goat milk cheeses. Small Rumin. Res. 63:58-65.
- J.H. Lee*, A.M. Saxton, L.O. Pordesimo, J.C. Waller, and S.L. Melton. 2006. Protecting dietary vitamin C and high oleic acid oil in feed and its effect on the nutritional profile of goat milk. J. Anim. Vet. Adv. 5 (1):33-37.
- Y.W. Park, J.H. Lee*, and S.J. Lee. 2006. Effects of freezing and refrigeration storage on organic acid profiles of goat milk plain soft and Monterey Jack cheeses. J. Dairy Sci. 89:862-871.
- J.H. Lee*, G. Kannan and B. Kouakou. 2006. Concentration and distribution of conjugated linoleic acids (CLA) and trans fatty acids in small ruminant milk and meat lipids. J. Food Lipids 13:100-111.
- J.H. Lee*, J.C. Waller, S.L. Melton, and A.M. Saxton. 2006. Incorporation of ?-tocopherol and linoleic acid in fresh lambs by feeding chemically treated dietary supplement containing DL-?-tocopheryl acetate and sunflower oil. J. Agric. Food Chem. 54:568-573.
- J.H. Lee*, J.C. Waller, and S.L. Melton. 2007. Distribution of fatty acids and effects of chemically treated ground, full-fat soybean supplements on tocopherols concentrations in crossbred (Dorset x Suffolk) lambs. Small Rumin. Res. 68: 269-278.
- J.H. Lee*, J.C. Waller, Y. Yilmaz, and S.L. Melton. 2007. Effect of feeding rumen-protected dietary protein-oil supplements on fatty acid composition and ?-tocopherol content of blood serum and muscle lipids of lambs. Small Rumin. Res. 72:101-110.
- J.H. Lee*, G. Kannan, K. Eega, B. Kouakou, and W.R. Getz. 2008. Nutritional and quality characteristics of meat from goats and lambs finished under identical dietary regimen. Small Rumin. Res. 74:255-259.
- J.H. Lee*, B. Kouakou, and G. Kannan. 2008. Chemical composition and quality characteristics of chevon from goats fed three different post-weaning diets. Small Rumin. Res. 75:177-184.
- V.R. Gutta, G. Kannan, J.H. Lee*, B. Kouakou, and W.R. Getz. 2009. Influences of short-term pre-slaughter dietary manipulation in sheep and goats on pH and microbial loads of gastrointestinal tract. Small Rumin. Res. 81:21-28.
- J.H. Lee*, B. Kouakou, and G. Kannan. 2009. Influences of dietary regimens on microbial content in gastrointestinal tracts of meat goats. Livestock Sci. 125:249-253.
- B. Kouakou, J.H. Lee*, and G. Kannan. 2009. Effects of high soybean oil for goats in late lactation on intake, milk composition and fatty acid profile. Tropical & Subtropical Agroecosystems 11:233-236.
- M. Vanguru, J.H. Lee*, B. Kouakou, T.H. Terrill, and G. Kannan. 2009. Effect of feed deprivation time on bacterial contamination of skin and carcass in meat goats. Tropical & Subtropical Agroecosystems 11:259-261.
- J.H. Lee*, M. Vanguru, G. Kannan, D.A. Moore, T. H. Terrill, and B. Kouakou. 2009. Influence of dietary condensed tannins from sericea lespedeza hay on bacterial loads in gastrointestinal tracts of meat goats. Livestock Sci. 126:314-317.
- A.K. Carmichael, B. Kouakou, S. Gelaye, G. Kannan, J.H. Lee, and T.H. Terrill. 2012. Organ mass and composition in growing dairy goat wethers fed different levels of poultry fat and protein. Small Rumin. Res. 104:104-113.
- J.H. Lee* and P. Pangloli. 2012. Volatile compounds and storage stability of potato chips fried in mid-oleic sunflower oil. Int. J. Food Properties. (In Press).
- J.H. Lee*, M. Vanguru, D.A. Moore, G. Kannan, T. H. Terrill, and B. Kouakou. 2012. Flavor compounds and quality parameters of chevon as influenced by sericea lespedeza hay. J. Agric. Food Chem. (In Press).