Doctor of Philosophy: Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary (1991)
Master of Science: Indian Institute of Technology, India (1983)
Bachelor of Science: Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, India (1981)
2012-Present: Assistant Professor (Food & Bioprocess Engineering) - Fort Valley State University
2005-2012: Research Professional & part-time graduate faculty (Food & Bioprocess Engineering) - Fort Valley State University
2001-2004: Research Associate (Food & Bioprocess Engineering) - South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD
1997-2001: Assistant Professor (Agricultural Engineering) - Botswana College of Agriculture, Gaborone, Botswana
1993-1997: Assistant Professor (Agricultural Engineering) – School of Engineering, University of Zambia, Lusaka, Zambia
- Food engineering and food safety
- Properties, processing and storage of food and biomaterials
- Biofuels, bioenergy
Recent projects include:
- Inactivation of E. coli O157: H7 on goat meat by UV-light
- Inactivation of E. coli O157: H7 on goat meat by electrolyzed oxidizing (EO) water and ozonated water
- Inactivation of E. coli O157: H7 on goat meat surfaces using copper and organic acids
- Evaluating the effectiveness of low-voltage electric current for inactivation of E. coli on beef surfaces
- Feasibility of using household steam cleaners to control microbial quality of meat
- Determination of electrical resistivity properties of beef
- Decentralized in-field production of ethanol from sweet sorghum
- Determination of physical, mechanical, and thermal properties of biomass materials
- Determination of physical and thermal properties of Sericea Lespedeza pellets
- Thermal properties of rice flours
- Tisserat, B., N. Joshee, A. K. Mahapatra, G. W. Selling, and V. L. Finkenstadt. 2013. Physical and mechanical properties of extruded poly(lactic acid)-based Paulownia elongata biocomposites. Industrial Crops and Products 44: 88-96.
- Mahapatra, A. K., S. L. Melton, and E. M. Isang. 2013. Effect of moisture content on thermal properties of cowpea flours. Agricultural Engineering International: the CIGR Journal 15 (2): 251-255.
- Mahapatra, A. K., D. L. Harris, C. N. Nguyen, and G. Kannan. 2011. Reduction of Escherichia coli O157:H7 on beef surfaces using low-voltage direct electric current and the impact on sensory properties. Journal of Electrostatics 69 (1): 30-35.
- Harris, D. L., A. K. Mahapatra, B. L. Jones, and G. Kannan. 2011. Efficacy of low-voltage ac for inactivating surface adherence Escherichia coli O157:H7 on beef. International Journal of Food Safety, Nutrition, and Public Health 4 (2/3/4): 214-224.
- Mahapatra, A. K., Y. Lan, and D. L. Harris. 2011. Influence of moisture content and temperature on thermal conductivity and thermal diffusivity of rice flours. International Journal of Food Properties 14 (3): 675-683.
- Mahapatra, A. K., M. Latimore, D. D. Bellmer, and B. P. Singh. 2011. Utilization of sweet sorghum for ethanol production- A review. ASABE Paper No. 1111567. St. Joseph, Mich.: ASABE.
- Mahapatra, A. K., B. L. Jones, C. N. Nguyen, and G. Kannan. 2010. Experimental determination of the electrical resistivity of beef. Agricultural Engineering International: the CIGR Journal 12 (3): 124-128.
- Mahapatra, A. K., D. L. Harris, D. L. Durham, S. Lucas, T. H. Terrill, B. Kouakou, and G. Kannan. 2010. Effects of moisture change on the physical and thermal properties of Sericea Lespedeza pellets. International Agricultural Engineering Journal 19 (3): 23-29.
- Mahapatra, A. K., D. L. Harris, C. N. Nguyen, and G. Kannan. 2009. Evaluation of an IUL automated colony counter. Agricultural Engineering International: the CIGR EJournal XI (1368): 1-6.
- Mahapatra, A. K., and Y. Lan. 2007. Postharvest handling of grains and pulses. In: Handbook of Food Preservation, 73-135. 2nd Ed. M. Shafiur Rahman (ed.). Boca Raton, FL.: CRC Press.
- Mahapatra, A. K., K. L. Kumar, J. L. Julson, and K. Muthukumarappan. 2007. Designing a design course for agricultural engineering in Africa. International Journal of Engineering Education 23 (4): 728-734.
- Mahapatra, A. K. and C. N. Nguyen. 2007. Drying of medicinal plants. Acta Hort (ISHS) 756: 47-54.
- Humburg, D. S., T. J. Hansen, L. G. Schumacher, A. K. Mahapatra, G. L. Taylor, and B. T. Adams. 2006. Biodiesel use and experience among state DOT agencies. Applied Engineering in Agriculture 22 (2): 177-184.
- Mahapatra, A. K., K. Muthukumarappan and J. L. Julson. 2005. Application of ozone, bacteriocins and irradiation in food processing: a review. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition 45: 447-461.