Doctor of Philosophy: Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary (1991)
Master of Science: Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), India (1983)
Bachelor of Science: Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, India (1981)
2017-Present: Associate Professor (Food & Bioprocess Engineering) - Fort Valley State University
2012-2017: Assistant Professor (Food & Bioprocess Engineering) - Fort Valley State University
2005-2012: Research Professional & part-time graduate faculty (Food & Bioprocess Engineering) - Fort Valley State University
2001-2004: Research Associate (Food & Bioprocess Engineering) - South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD
1997-2001: Assistant Professor (Agricultural Engineering) - Botswana College of Agriculture, Gaborone, Botswana
1993-1997: Assistant Professor (Agricultural Engineering) – School of Engineering, University of Zambia, Lusaka, Zambia
- Food safety, food process engineering and packaging
- Properties, processing, transport and storage of food and biomaterials
- Biofuels, bioenergy
Recent projects include:
- Inactivation of E. coli O157: H7 on meat using non-thermal processes (UV-light, electrolyzed oxidizing water, ozonated water, low-voltage electric current)
- Inactivation of E. coli O157: H7 on meat surfaces using natural ingredients (essential oils, copper, and organic acids)
- Sorption equilibrium moisture characteristics of food, feed, and biomaterials
- Feasibility of using household steam cleaners to control microbial quality of meat
- Sweet sorghum as feedstock for biofuel production
- Determination of physical, mechanical, electrical, and thermal properties of food, feed, and biomaterials (Sericea Lespedeza pellets, rice flours, cowpea flours, beef)
- Degala, H. L., A. K. Mahapatra, A. Demirci and G. Kannan. 2018. Evaluation of non-thermal hurdle technology for ultraviolet-light to inactivate Escherichia coli K12 on goat meat surfaces. Food Control 90: 113-120.
- Ekefre, D. E., A. K. Mahapatra, M. Latimore, Jr., D. D. Bellmer, U. Jena, G. J. Whitehead, and A. L. Williams. 2018. Evaluation of three cultivars of sweet sorghum as feedstocks for ethanol production in the Southeast United States. Heliyon 3 (12) e00490: 1-18.
- Mahapatra, A. K., D. E. Ekefre, N. K. Pattanaik, U. Jena, A. L. Williams, M. Latimore, Jr. 2017. Thermal properties of sweet sorghum bagasse as a function of moisture content. Agricultural Engineering International: CIGR Journal 19 (4): 108-113.
- Gosukonda, R., A. K. Mahapatra, D. E. Ekefre, and M. Latimore, Jr. 2017. Prediction of thermal properties of sweet sorghum bagasse as a function of moisture content using artificial neural networks and regression models. Acta Technologica Agriculturae 2: 29-35.
- Degala, H. L., J. R. Scott, P. Nakkiran, A. K. Mahapatra, and G. Kannan. 2016. Inactivation of E. coli O157:H7 on goat meat surface using ozonated water alone and in combination with electrolyzed oxidizing water. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE) Paper No. 2462209. St. Joseph, Mich.: ASABE.
- Liu, X., M. Nelson, A. K. Mahapatra, and E. Styles. 2015. Perceptions of information gaps in farm-to-table studies. Food Control 50: 663-669.
- Gosukonda, R., A. K. Mahapatra, X. Liu, and G. Kannan. 2014. Application of artificial neural network to predict Escherichia coli O157:H7 inactivation on beef surfaces. Food Control 47: 606-614.
- Tisserat, B., N. Joshee, A. K. Mahapatra, G. W. Selling, and V. L. Finkenstadt. 2013. Physical and mechanical properties of extruded poly(lactic acid)-based Paulownia elongata biocomposites. Industrial Crops and Products 44: 88-96.
- Mahapatra, A. K., S. L. Melton, and E. M. Isang. 2013. Effect of moisture content on thermal properties of cowpea flours. Agricultural Engineering International: the CIGR Journal 15 (2): 251-255.
- Mahapatra, A. K., D. L. Harris, C. N. Nguyen, and G. Kannan. 2011. Reduction of Escherichia coli O157:H7 on beef surfaces using low-voltage direct electric current and the impact on sensory properties. Journal of Electrostatics 69 (1): 30-35.
- Harris, D. L., A. K. Mahapatra, B. L. Jones, and G. Kannan. 2011. Efficacy of low-voltage ac for inactivating surface adherence Escherichia coli O157:H7 on beef. International Journal of Food Safety, Nutrition, and Public Health 4 (2/3/4): 214-224.
- Mahapatra, A. K., Y. Lan, and D. L. Harris. 2011. Influence of moisture content and temperature on thermal conductivity and thermal diffusivity of rice flours. International Journal of Food Properties 14 (3): 675-683.
- Mahapatra, A. K., M. Latimore, D. D. Bellmer, and B. P. Singh. 2011. Utilization of sweet sorghum for ethanol production- A review. ASABE Paper No. 1111567. St. Joseph, Mich.: ASABE.
- Mahapatra, A. K., B. L. Jones, C. N. Nguyen, and G. Kannan. 2010. Experimental determination of the electrical resistivity of beef. Agricultural Engineering International: the CIGR Journal 12 (3): 124-128.
- Mahapatra, A. K., D. L. Harris, D. L. Durham, S. Lucas, T. H. Terrill, B. Kouakou, and G. Kannan. 2010. Effects of moisture change on the physical and thermal properties of Sericea Lespedeza pellets. International Agricultural Engineering Journal 19 (3): 23-29.
- Mahapatra, A. K., D. L. Harris, C. N. Nguyen, and G. Kannan. 2009. Evaluation of an IUL automated colony counter. Agricultural Engineering International: the CIGR EJournal XI (1368): 1-6.
- Mahapatra, A. K. and Y. Lan. 2007. Postharvest handling of grains and pulses. In: Handbook of Food Preservation, 73-135. 2nd Ed. M. Shafiur Rahman (ed.). Boca Raton, FL.: CRC Press.
- Mahapatra, A. K., K. L. Kumar, J. L. Julson, and K. Muthukumarappan. 2007. Designing a design course for agricultural engineering in Africa. International Journal of Engineering Education 23 (4): 728-734.
- Mahapatra, A. K. and C. N. Nguyen. 2007. Drying of medicinal plants. Acta Hort (ISHS) 756: 47-54.
- Humburg, D. S., T. J. Hansen, L. G. Schumacher, A. K. Mahapatra, G. L. Taylor, and B. T. Adams. 2006. Biodiesel use and experience among state DOT agencies. Applied Engineering in Agriculture 22 (2): 177-184.
- Mahapatra, A. K., K. Muthukumarappan, and J. L. Julson. 2005. Application of ozone, bacteriocins and irradiation in food processing: A review. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition 45: 447-461.