Ph.D. in Plant Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK, 2011
M.Sc. (Agri, Plant Biotech), Institute of Agri-Biotech, Univ of Agri Sc, Dharwad, Karnataka, India-2004
B.Sc. (Agri), Univ of Agri Sc, Dharwad, Karnataka, India-2001
Research Professional at Fort Valley State University, Fort Valley, GA since May 2012.
My research interests are focused on improvement of cereal and biofuel crops through the genetics and genomics approaches. I am currently involved in coordinating and monitoring sugarcane aphid (SCA) management in sorghum through the Areawide Pest Management Project funded by USDA. My research areas include resistance breeding for development of insect and disease resistance varieties in crops with emphasis on the use of host-plant resistance through recently evolved genomics-assisted breeding and genomic selection.
- Punnuri, S. M. & Huang Y. (2017). Identification and confirmation of greenbug resistance loci in an advanced mapping population of sorghum. Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 1-13 First View doi:10.1017/S0021859617000685
- Varshney et al. (2017). Pearl millet genome sequence provides a resource to improve agronomic traits in arid environments. Nature Biotechnology 35,969–976
- Punnuri, S., K. Harris-Shultz, J. Knoll, X. Ni, and H. Wang. (2017). The genes Bm2 and Blmc that affect epicuticular wax deposition in sorghum are allelic. Crop Science. Research Note 57(3)
- Punnuri, S. M., J. G. Wallace, J. E. Knoll, K. E. Hyma, S. E. Mitchell, E. S. Buckler, R. K. Varshney, and B. P. Singh. (2016). Development of a High-Density Linkage Map and Tagging Leaf Spot Resistance in Pearl Millet Using Genotyping-by-Sequencing Markers. The Plant Genome 9. doi:10.3835/plantgenome2015.10.0106
- Assefa, M., Shimelis, B., Punnuri, S., Sripathi, R., Whitehead, W. and Singh, B. (2014). Common Bean Germplasm Diversity Study for Cold Tolerance in Ethiopia. American Journal of Plant Sciences, 5, 1842-1850
- Punnuri S and Singh BP (2013). Chapter 18: Oil Palm In: Bharat P. Singh (ed.) Biofuel Crops: Production, Physiology and Genetics of biofuel crops. CABI, London, UK. pp-392-414 (Book Chapter)
- Punnuri S, Huang Y, Steets J, Wu Y (2013). Developing new markers and QTL mapping for greenbug resistance in sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench]. Euphytica 191(2):191-203
- Liu L, Huang L, Punnuri S, Samuels T, Wu Y, Murthy M (2013). Development and integration of EST-SSR markers into an established linkage map in switchgrass. Molecular Breeding 32 (4):923-931
- Reddy PS, Fakrudin B, Rajkumar, Punnuri SM, Arun SS, Kuruvinashetti MS, Das IK, Seetharama N (2008). Molecular mapping of genomic regions harboring QTLs for stalk rot resistance in sorghum. Euphytica 159:191–198
- Kotresh H, Fakrudin B, Punnuri SM, Rajkumar BK, Thudi M,Paramesh H, Lohithaswa H, Kuruvinashetti MS (2006). Identification of two RAPD markers genetically linked to a recessive allele of a Fusarium wilt resistance gene in Pigeonpea (Cajanus cajan L. Mill sp.). Euphytica 149:113–120