The Landowners Initiative for Forestry Education (LIFE) program focuses on the overall goal of increasing outreach, awareness and technical assistance to minority and limited resource farmers/landowners in the areas of sustainable natural resource practices and effective estate planning including the incorporation of computer technology.
The objectives of the program are to:
- Identify minority and limited resource forest landowners and farmers in Georgia and create GIS database of minority and limited resource landowners.
- Increase communications and outreach to limited resource farmers and landowners on current forest management and protection strategies.
- Provide training, technical assistance and education to limited resource farmers and landowners on forest protection & management with an emphasis place on estate planning.
LIFE activities include the following:
- Resource publications entitled "Small Landowners' Estate Planning Guide" and "Forestry Resource Manual"
- A statewide electronic GIS database
- An educational outreach exhibit
- "Managing Your Land for Profit" workshops
- Instructional Training Clinics-wills and advance directives for healthcare for underserved landowners.