High Tunnel Hoop House Installation & Solid-Set Irrigation Conservation Practices Clinic
Oct 4, 2022, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
5966 Robinson Circle
Naylor, GA, 31641
Session 1: Tuesday, July 26, 2022 (rescheduled date due to inclement weather)
Session 2: RESCHEDULED DATE - Tuesday, October 4, 2022
FVSU Cooperative Extension and USDA NRCS are partnering together to host a 2-day hands-on-clinic for farmers who are interested in learning more about utilizing high tunnel hoop houses on their farms. USDA NRCS and a local contractor will be teaching farmers how to successfully complete installation by demonstrating on-site how to build a high tunnel, install plastic, set the ground posts, install roll up walls, install main cover, install the cold frame kit, and site preparation. Also, farmers will learn about the correct type of finishing materials to install the high tunnel hoop house and costs. There will also be a representative from USDA FSA to discuss financing options available to install this practice on your farm.
Farmers will learn about resource concerns and conservation practices offered under USDA NRCS EQIP Program. Farmers will be able to meet other farmers who have successfully secured financing from USDA to implement this conservation practice on their farm to benefit their agricultural operations.
Farmers will learn:
- What is the Environmental Quality Incentive Program (EQIP)?
- Learn details about the implementation of a solid-set irrigation system
- Learn the importance of site preparation
- Learn about non-governmental financial options
- Who is eligible to apply for EQIP?
Contractor Talking Points:
- High Tunnel Hoop House installation
- Plastic installation
- Ground post installation
- Roll up wall installation
- Main cover installation
- Cold frame installation
- Site preparation
- The importance of Calling 811
- How the pump and well system is integrated into your existing irrigation system
- Ensuring all agencies/offices have approvals in place
The clinic will include presentations from the following agencies:
- USDA NRCS
- USDA FSA
- Aqua Logistics
- Georgia Farm Bureau
- McQueen Farms
- VyStar Credit Union