Somashekhar Punnuri, PhD
Research Assistant Professor
Academic Program: Biotechnology
Research Area: Plant Biotechnology
- Genetics and Genomics of crop plants-cereal crops, fruits and vegetables
- Plant molecular breeding for resistance to biotic stresses such as insects and diseases and germplasm screening and mutant selections
- Use of Host Plant Resistance and biocontrol agents (Entomopathogens)
- Soil Microbiome studies
- Transcriptome-based studies
- 2019 SEED (The Scientists Engaging and Educating Decision-makers) Ambassador for Tri-Society’s immersive advocacy training program with the goal of developing trusted relationships between Society members and Members of Congress.
- Invited by Tri-Societies Government relations office to present research work to the members of congress and at the 2019 Annual Ag Research Exhibition at Capitol Hill Washington D.C.-May, 2019
- Served as reviewer on USDA NIFA Grant Panel for Non-Land Grant Colleges (NLGC) Capacity Building Projects.
- Involved in pearl millet genome sequencing project lead by ICRISAT.
- Selected to participate in GIS modeling workshop with theme titled “Climate Change, Global Food security and the US Food system” jointly organized by NCAR-USDA at Boulder, Colorado. 11 July-16 July 2016.
- Summer Graduate College Research Fellowship - Oklahoma State University
- Member of Professional societies- Agronomical Society of America, Crop Science Society of America, Sigma Xi Tifton Chapter.
Doctor of Philosophy: Plant Sciences - Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK (2011)
Master of Science: Agriculture, Plant Biotechnology - Institute of Agri-Biotechnology, University of Agricultural Sciences (UAS), Dharwad, Karnataka, India (2004)
Bachelor of Science: Agriculture - UAS (2001)
Harris-Shultz, K., S. Punnuri, J.E. Knoll, X. Ni, Wang H. (2019) The sorghum epicuticular wax locus Bloomless2 reduces plant damage in P898012. Agrosystems, Geosciences & Environment. Accepted 12/2/2019
Lahiri S, Ni X, Buntin GD, Punnuri S, Jacobson A, Reay-Jones FPF, Toews MD. (2019) Combining host plant resistance and foliar insecticide application to manage Melanaphis sacchari (Hemiptera: Aphididae) in grain sorghum. International Journal of Pest Management. (Published online: 31 Oct 2019)
Mahapatra AK, Ekefre DE, Degala H, Punnuri S M, Terrill TH. (2019) Moisture-dependent physical and thermal properties of sericea lespedeza seeds. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers. Applied engineering in agriculture 2019 v.35 no.3 pp. 389-397
Whitley N, Terrill T, Griffin E, Greer, Mapson L, Singh A, Owen V, Dykes G, Kommuru DS, Miller J, Mosjidis J, Punnuri S, Burke J. (2018). Effect of Ensiling on Efficacy of Sericea Lespedeza against Gastrointestinal Nematodes and Coccidia in Goats. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology A 8 (2018) 377-387
Varshney et al. (2017) Pearl millet genome sequence provides a resource to improve agronomic traits in arid environments. Nature Biotechnology 35, 969–976
Punnuri, S. M. & Huang Y. (2017) Identification and confirmation of greenbug resistance loci in an advanced mapping population of sorghum. Journal of Agricultural Sciences 155(10), 1610-1622
Punnuri, S., K. Harris-Shultz, J. Knoll, X. Ni, and H. Wang. (2017) The genes Bm2 and Blmc that affect epicuticular wax deposition in sorghum are allelic. Crop Sci. Research Note 57(3)
Punnuri, S. M., J. G. Wallace, J. E. Knoll, K. E. Hyma, S. E. Mitchell, E. S. Buckler, R. K. Varshney, and B. P. Singh. (2016) Development of a High-Density Linkage Map and Tagging Leaf Spot Resistance in Pearl Millet Using Genotyping-by-Sequencing Markers. The Plant Genome. 9(2) 1-13
Assefa, M., Shimelis, B., Punnuri, S., Sripathi, R., Whitehead, W. and Singh, B. (2014) Common Bean Germplasm Diversity Study for Cold Tolerance in Ethiopia. American Journal of Plant Sciences, 5, 1842-1850
Punnuri S and Singh BP (2013) Chapter 18: Oil Palm In: Bharat P. Singh (ed.) Biofuel Crops: Production, Physiology and Genetics of biofuel crops. CABI, London, UK. pp-392-414 (Book Chapter)
Punnuri S, Huang Y, Steets J, Wu Y (2013) Developing new markers and QTL mapping for greenbug resistance in sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench]. Euphytica 191(2):191-203
Liu L, Huang L, Punnuri S, Samuels T, Wu Y, Murthy M (2013). Development and integration of EST-SSR markers into an established linkage map in switchgrass. Molecular Breeding-32(4):923-931
Reddy PS, Fakrudin B, Rajkumar, Punnuri SM, Arun SS, Kuruvinashetti MS, Das IK, Seetharama N (2008) Molecular mapping of genomic regions harboring QTLs for stalk rot resistance in sorghum. Euphytica 159:198
Kotresh H, Fakrudin B, Punnuri SM, Rajkumar BK, Thudi M, Paramesh H, Lohithaswa H, Kuruvinashetti MS (2006) Identification of two RAPD markers genetically linked to a recessive allele of a Fusarium wilt resistance gene in Pigeonpea (Cajanus cajan L. Mill sp.). Euphytica 149:113–120